IPENZ and SFPE as their technical committee for Fire Engineering are committed to providing mentoring support as a key element of progression.
The bullets below show how individuals can assess the benefits of mentoring and find a mentor.
- Read the IPENZ Mentoring Guidelines so that you know what you require from a mentor.
- Compile your requirements. Write a paragraph summarising your qualifications, experience, current position and what you require from a mentor.
- Ask your line manager or supervisor if they can recommend someone in your company. A person in your company is the most useful mentor, because they have knowledge of specific company processes.
- Networking at IPENZ Branch and SFPE events recommended where there are no engineers available to mentor you within your company.
- Contact the SFPE secretary or the IPENZ National Office if you are unable to identify a mentor from your own networks.